Friday, July 1, 2011

Either I look a lot younger or you look a lot older.

I went to Smith's the other day with my friend Hana to get a few things. At the checkout while I was paying for my purchase Hana put my things in her cart, though I hadn't noticed. When I went to pick up my bag I looked around a little confused.

Then the bagger pointed out, "Your mom has it."

"Oh," was all I could say.

I don't think I've ever had any of my friends mistaken for my mom before.

Earlier this week I got a parking citation. I have never gotten a ticket before and I had no idea why I was getting one now. Shinsuke's car is registered for graduate parking which means that I can park it pretty much anywhere besides faculty parking. I was parked in the graduate parking lot by the Tanner Building when I got the ticket. The parking office was already closed so I had to wait until the next day to go in. After class I went straight to the parking office to see if I could get my ticket cleared. I filled out my paper work, but just as I was finishing the officer in charge informed me he was going out to lunch. He told me he would email me as soon as a decision was reached. Luckily, the email came at the end of the day and I didn't have to pay the ticket because they had made a mistake.

Another Japan adventure!

My last Sunday there, June 12th I think, the ward put together a small party for me and Shinsuke. It was a potluck and there were all kinds of delicious food to try. There is one thing that I have noticed about buffet lines in Japan: there aren't any. You can start a line, but then everybody starts coming in from all directions making it impossible to move around the table efficiently. Maybe I worked for BYU catering a little too long.

Anyway, we were surprised with a strawberry sponge cake that we cut just like we would have at a reception. Though, instead of feeding each other with our hands we used spoons. He fed me with a little one and I fed him with a huge ladle. I think this is a Japanese custom because the receptions I went to in America the couples always used their hands.


After the cake ceremony they held a question and answer session. I wish someone would have gotten it on camera, but someone had taken mine for the cake ceremony so I hadn't known where it was at that moment. They asked us questions like when our first date was and what we liked about each other. To one of the questions about what we liked about the other I responded, "Everyday with him is an adventure." Shinsuke did most of the talking as it was all in Japanese.





That same night Shinsuke's friends from elementary and middle school came over for yakiniku. None of them were members of the church, but they were all very good people. I could tell they all had a fun time growing up together. I did my best to participate in the conversation, but because it was mostly in Japanese (guy's slang Japanese) there was a lot I didn't understand. It was still a lot of fun though.





2 comments:

  1. You'd better be good, child, or I'll have to punish you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! I literally laughed out loud at the video! I understood part of it--the guy saying Shinsuke's portion was too easy, so you got more cake on it, lol. So great, thanks for the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete